The HMRC workshop on completing the SelfAssessment Tax Return for the Self Employed Sole Trader was Very useful. I thought I knew what to do, it was nice to be to make sure before I launched into it.
* using a room in your house as an office is not without problems – I had not considered the implications of claiming part of the council tax re: capital gains and business use down the line. They recommend that you don’t do it.
And I shall have to work out just how much time is spent each day in this room on personal/business.
* you can claim 100% for new equipment straight away. Nice one. My desk top computer needs to be replaced soon.
* the special rules for authors on averaging etc are great when the Mills and Boon payment schedule does not match the tax year
* I will NOT be able to complete my return OnLine- which is a shame – but there are two many complex factors involved.
* notes on everything you ever wanted to know and all of the forms are on the website and you can download them all and print off what you need.
All that is for when I return from hols. I am off to Richmond and then London today, so busy, busy.
So I leave you with this splendid engineer – Theo Jansen and a fine example of what creative thinking can do.
Lesson? If they give you ruled paper to write on – write sideways. Happy days.