Here we are. Monday the First of August. Start of a new month and a new way of working.
As a follow on from yesterday’s post, I have decided that I will no longer allow the work to fill the time but grasp back control of what and how so that my story ideas will have a chance to be realised on the page.
Time to take control of that equation. [ Creativity] x [ Organisation] = [ Impact]
I am foolish and arrogant enough to believe that I have stories worth telling and they could have an impact and find readers. If I do not make them come alive through words on a page, nobody else will, and the characters who live inside my head will sulk or start talking to eachother out of boredom. Or worse, stop talking to me.
Yes I know that there is medication for this, but I prefer to exorcise the voices through fiction.
Righty. Planning is very simple. All I have to do is:
1. Know where I am now.
2. Know where I want to be at the 31st August
3. Work out how I am going to get there – in detail
4. Committing to make those changes and take the steps necessary to get there. This is the hard bit and where I am just like anyone else. Sacrifice is hard. But for one month? I can do that. Bring it on.
Where am I now?
I have three writing projects which I need to work on during August.
*Project One is my new Mills and Boon Romance Line Book. Due End September, but I am on holiday for 9 days in September, so it is essential that I have a solid draft of the complete book before end August. That way I can come back after a break and edit the text with fresh eyes before submitting to my lovely editor. I love this writing and following my characters on the journey to love. Cannot wait to get started.
* Project Two is a very special crime book which has been burbling away since I wrote the first draft and its sequel some ten years ago. And it will not leave me alone. I believe that this story deserves to told and will find readers. Time to let those characters have a voice. I don’t have a contract for this book but I want to rewrite and reframe it and my personal goal is to have the new draft complete before the end of the year.
* Project Three is a local conservation group initiative in my home town and I have committed to a website and creating walking trails – before end September.
So three writing projects. All important to me for different reasons.
Now for the HOW – the action plan, because I know that this process is all about the Actions needed to make it happen. Talking about it and planning are over.
My Goal is to create a new working method in August which will:
* Break through the procrastination barriers caused by that rancid old lizard brain of fear and selfdoubt. If I don’t ship then I won’t have to face the criticism etc
* Help me focus on the writing as first priority by using a number of time management tools
* Increase my productivity by working on several projects in short focused bursts of concentrated effort with goals in a fixed and non negotiable period of time. I am not setting word counts at this point. I want the result to surprise me.
The words may be first discovery drafts where I know that I have to rewrite. But they will give my characters a voice and I am intent on listening to what they have to say.
That is the goal.
I shall be back on Saturday with an update on how the first 5 days went. Wish me luck!